Resources and Support
The following websites may be of interest to patients and families living with thalassemia. Some are medically informative, while others have a more social aspect.
- Thalassemia Patients and Friends: www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com
- Thalassemia/Family Village: www.familyvillage.wisc.edu/Lib_thal.htm
- Children’s Hospital Oakland Thalassemia Website: www.thalassemia.com
- Cooley’s Anemia Foundation: www.cooleysanemia.org
- Thalassemia International Federation: www.thalassaemia.org.cy
- Thalassemia Support Foundation: www.helpthals.org
- The National Marrow Donor Program: www.marrow.org
- The National Stem Cell Foundation is a non-profit that funds clinical trials and research, currently focusing on treatments for rare blood disorders. They are currently funding trials for the treatment of rare blood disorders at Duke University: www.nationalstemcellfoundation.org which features information about thalassemia and many other diseases that can be potentially treated with stem cells.
- Children with Diabetes: www.childrenwithdiabetes.com
- Isabela's Journey: Her Battle with the Blood Disorder, Thalassemia Major: a new book by Serafina Sammarco. http://www.isabellasjourney.ca/
- E-Learing modules about thalassemia by Laurice Levine for the Charlotte AHEC (Area Health Education Center): https://www.charlotteahec.org/continuing_education/registration/workshop.cfm?EventID=37585
- MEENA Health Welfare Organization: advocating for children with thalassemia in Afghanistan: MeenaWelfare.org
- Cord Blood Banking: Viacord.