How you can help:
Thalassemia Patient and Research Fund
Mark and Cathy Santos with Laurice Levine.
The 2014 annual fundraiser, the Mark Santos Memorial Motorcycle Run, raised over $3,300 for the Thalassemia Program.
There are many different ways you can help in the ongoing fight against Thalassemia. The Northern California Comprehensive Thalassemia Center needs your support to help fund the Thalassemia Patient Fund which has been set up to help pay for patient expenses that become major difficulties over the long term such as transportation costs for families who live in rural areas, desferal supplies, pumps, medications not covered by insurance, parking vouchers and other costs. The fund also provides access to more expensive new therapies for low-income families, and finances patient participation in new research programs. Due to language and cultural barriers, part of the patient fund also pay for professional interpreters and translation of medical literature into languages such as Chinese, Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian, Hmong, and Tagalog and other educational materials to target these high at risk population.
Financial contributions and fund-raising by organizations is greatly needed and appreciated. Please act now to support the Thalassemia Patient Fund. It is through your support that we are able to provide quality comprehensive care to our patients to improve their quality of life. Many thanks to our supporters!
To make a donation online, visit this page:
To make a donation by mail, please send a check to:
Thalassemia Patient and Research Fund
Attention: Laurice Levine, Thalassemia Outreach Coordinator
Children's Hospital Oakland
Department of Hematology/Oncology
747 Fifty Second Street
Oakland, CA 94609
Checks should be made payable to "Children's Hospital Oakland Foundation" with "thalassemia" on the subject line.
Our Tax ID number is 94-3315514.
How your gift helps:
- $25 buys one vile of desferal
- $25 buys one Balloon Pump
- $400 pays for one unit of blood
- $800 for a blood transfusion
- $1500 buys a week worth of desferal supplies ( $220/day)
- $250 co-pay of medication
Christine and Gina Arias at the
Italian Catholic Federation
Blood and Toy Donation Drive
Columbus Day 2014
Every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion. Donating blood is the most precious gift of life that you can ever give to someone. For more information about giving blood or arranging blood drives in your community, contact Blood Center of the Pacific, American Red Cross, or a blood center near you.
Due to hospital policy, limited storage space, fire hazard, and the prevention of infectious disease, the Thalassemia Outreach Program at Children’s Hospital Oakland has a set of donation guidelines. If you would like to make a donation, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- All toys must be new and unused
- Stuffed animals must be new, clean and not off the store shelf for more than a month
- Books must be new or in very good condition
- Used DVD’s are acceptable; used VHS video tapes are not.
- Gift Cards – gift cards are great for ages 10 and older, especially our teens and adults. We also are able to purchase the many supplies, arts, crafts and other wares needed to put on a party, You can designate if you would like your gift card to be used as a gift, as party expenses, or wherever needed.
- Gift cards to: Target, Best Buy, Game Stop, Safeway (for party supplies), Albertsons (for party supplies), Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Claires, See’s Candy, Barnes and Noble, Big 5, Sports Authority, Regal and AMC Movie Theaters, Costco, Starbucks, Jamba Juice. Denominations can be $5 to higher. Usually $10 and $20 are preferable.
Suggested donation items:
- Infant Toys: mobiles, musical toys, rattles, teethers
- Books for all ages
- Board Games for all ages: Life, Monopoly, Clue, Sorry, Trouble, Candyland, Chess/Checkers, Uno, Chutes and Ladders, Simon, Trivial Pursuit, Jenga, Taboo, Hi Ho Cheerio
- New Dolls: Barbies, baby dolls
- Hand held video games
- CD Players
- Sports equipment
- IPOD Minis
- Nintendo DS
- Make up kits and nail polish
- Cute women’s socks, mens socks, children’s socks
- Teen clothes – appropriate logos ie Nike wear; Puma
- Fleece blankets
- Disney attire
- Art supplies: pens, crayons, coloring books, paper, glitter pens
- PlayDoh and modeling clay
- Toy cars, match box cars
- Lego sets
- Action figures
If you would like to make a donation please contact: Laurice Levine at 510-428-3885 x 5427 or LLevine@mail.cho.org. Thank you in advance for your generosity and support!